Art and other stuff

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Why I breastfed.....

How are you celebrating Canada's World Breastfeeding week?  Did you know that Canada celebrates World Breastfeeding Week each year on October 1st - 7th? To honour the first day of Canada's World Breastfeeding Week and also interestingly the anniversary of my own journey as a breastfeeding mother here is my list of why I breastfed:

  • I wanted my breasts to be more than just objects
  • It was EMPOWERING
  • It was a natural progression from belly to world for my babies
  • It was healthy (for baby and me)
  • I was told I might not be able to do it and that did not sit well with me
  • I was not going to be a statistic on the those who tried list (although I did join that list for a short time)
  • It felt right
  • I felt a connection to the women who mothered generations before me
  • It grounded me
  • It brought me joy
  • It helped my son stay out of the hospital and off medications for his kidney
  • It made the connection with my children easier and the effects still last today
  • I was pig headed
  • It grew on me
  • and the list can go on.....................
More than a few years ago this day, October 1st, signified the end of my first 24 hours I spent as a breastfeeding mother.   I know that it is not always a life changing event for each and every woman but much of who I am as a mother started with my first latching of my newborn son.  It wasn't the easiest journey and in fact it ended almost as quickly as it began when I weaned him at 5 days old but it was defining and set the tone for my parenting since. 


Seamus nursing at 4 months in Dominican Republic after I re lactated and we started nursing again


1 comment:

  1. What a great pic. Thanks for reminding me to make sure I get one of myself.

    ReplyDelete