Art and other stuff

Friday, February 17, 2012

Flipping the switch: Leaving the schooled frame of mind behind

Here we go again..... I have my moments where I think for sure I have made the wrong decision. "I should have put them in school from the beginning", "I have failed them", the negative self doubt can go on and on.  Today was one of those moments.  They last only briefly, and oddly seem to happen on a 'cycle'. But of course not everything can be blamed on this coincidental 'cycle'.   Each time I have these moments of doubt something happens that reminds me of why we chose this life.  It can be a quote (thanks Stef), or a exciting discovery the boys make, or it can be my husband telling me how grateful he is that I do what I do.


Our journey is our own, like many aspects of our parenting style.  We have chosen a less travelled path and therefore have a lonelier road.  I don't feel others should follow this path, although it would certainly be less lonely if we knew more families who did.  It is important that a family make decisions for their own based on what is best for the whole, not to make decisions based on what everyone else is doing or ignoring the facts because the facts make them uncomfortable, but to make decisions for their family eyes wide open.  I believe it is important to know why you are doing things, the possible consequences, the possible joys and to go forth with that information with a sense of confidence.  You may falter, loose that sense of surety for while, you may even change your mind.

I have taken to not using the term unschooling as what we do is not really related to school at all.  I have used it to describe our learning choices.  I also use the words "school" or "schoolish stuff" to make what we might be doing more relate-able in my blog.   My biggest struggle with our choice in educating our children is me. I am my own thorn in my side.  It is when I see our lives in relation to my 'schooled' way of thinking that I allow doubt to creep back in. 

I need to deschool myself.  I need to get out of the mind set that school is the base line for normal.  You may not like the term deschool, it might rub you the wrong way or feel offensive and oppositional to schooling.  Here is why I feel it is not.  School is an institution, home is something entirely different.  They are not even close to the same.  I intend to educate my children, schools are in place with the intention to educate children but the process of education does not in anyway need to be the same. I would go as far to say it shouldn't be the same. School is a place, it is not a state of being, it is not a process.  It is a place, a location where set rules are put into practice to facilitate their objectives.   I grew up like most everyone else learning in an environment where those rules guided my childhood years.  That is my frame of reference for education.  Until our journey into home education I have only experienced education as it is done in a school setting*****I have only acknowledged education as it is done in a school setting as I have experienced education everywhere.   My children do not have that frame of reference.  I am the one that needs to turn the switch and deschool my brain to best meet our family's needs and education at home.  The rules and schedules set out in a school simply do not apply.  Now, that is easier said than done.  Want to sit back and watch me try?  Want to join me?

3 comments:

  1. I too am my own worst enemy with this. That and the doubts, the fears, the "oh to hell with it, why not just send them to school" moments. The needing SOMETHING I can relate to for progress - because my whole experience has been school-based. Especially having gone back to school myself for 4 yrs! I often get tired of the strange looks, the "oh, I didn't know it was a PA day" when I have the kids out and about during the day etc. Some days I'd love to just throw in the towel and become mainstream with it all....and then Mark starts with his "what would x be like if you did" comments and I realize again that what we're doing is what's best for them.

    ...but damn what I wouldn't give some days to have a crystal ball for reassurance that it'll all be fine.

    ~Coranne

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Throw in the towel and become mainstream". I love it!

    Mark is a smart man, Chris says similar things about how the boys would be if they had gone to school and I know he certainly isn't saying he thinks they would be better people. If my kids are one thing they are good people.

    Thanks for sharing. THIS is why it is so important to have connections with other homeschoolers! Particularly those of us on the more 'eclectic' path. Not only are we not mainstream we are not even mainstream homeschoolers. Must be something in our DNA! ;) It really is nice to feel less alone in it all,even if it is from across our wide country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That good ol' Q DNA...who'd have thought it would guide us here. :) Nature...nurture...some combination of the two...or maybe something entirely different that no one has identified. Regardless, we do what we can with what we have at the time and hope it's for the best. Hell, at this point the only thing in my life that is "mainstream" is that Mark and I both work. The rest is a jumbled "mess" of trying to figure out how we can do the best we can with what life's thrown at us. :)

      Delete