Art and other stuff

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Reading into the future



I am slow on the technology front. I don't have a cell phone....well I don't have a good cell phone. I have one that is for emergencies only that I add time to every so often, but it doesn't text, send pictures, twitter, facebook and all the other fun things.  I am sure it can do those things but I wouldn't know where to begin. To be honest, here in our tiny town it is cheaper to pop into Sobey's and pay 25 cents to use the pay phone.

But I am making a technological leap, I am almost ready to move into the e-reading era. What? That was yesterday's news?  Oh well call me resistant to change.  I am fearful of making the commitment. I don't like the idea of spending almost the same amount on a digital copy of a book.  If I am buying a book, and we buy MANY books I think I would like it in hand.  I don't however have much more room for books without fear of our library becoming simply a pile of books.

Any die hard book lovers make the switch?  Was it hard, do you love it? Hate it?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jen - sent you a message on Facebook as this wasn't playing nice (will try again). Summary of it - make sure you try one of the new ones on the market BEFORE buying. I can't use them - can't handle the screen refresh the new ones do when swapping pages (text becomes white and background black for a few seconds then the new page shows up normally). All of the current generation ones apparently do it. After resisting the change, I bought a Blackberry Playbook to use as an e-reader and have to admit, I flat out love it!

    ~Coranne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard about the refresh irritation. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We are really really far from anywhere that sells electronics but I think we are going to wait on it and try some out when we go into a town next. The Kobo's were on sale until today but I am not in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I take it back, not loving the Playbook. I still stand by my belief that a tablet is the way to go...I just haven't found the one that's right for me yet. My main issue with the PB is the Kobo app being flaky (it lost my spot in the book about a dozen times!). Don't know what the Android Kindle app would be like (since as of today it will run Android apps). I think I'm going to try a 10" tablet - I read fast, so the extra screen space isn't a bad thing - might save me flipping the page so frequently (tho admittedly, that's a problem with a book too for me ;). Will keep you posted!

      Delete