Art and other stuff

Monday, May 16, 2011

E-free

What does electronic use look like in your house?  Our usage is constantly fluctuating.   The boys can go on video game binges that seem to take up most of their waking hours.  It doesn't really take up all their hours as there have always been limits on 'media' time in our house but it can feel like all they do is play video games and talk about video games.  Media by our definition can consist of tv, movies, video games.   Not computers so much as the boys don't really use the computer often.  We, like many parents, use tv/video as a crutch too often.  If there is a big reno going on in the house I find their video time increases when I need them more out of the way.   It is not something I am entirely comfortable with but it happens none the less.

A few weeks ago we went "e-free".   Video games in particular were taken off the option list for a while.  I really wanted the kids to remember how to just play without thinking about the next game they were going to play.  We also reduced the tv or movie time to one show every couple of days.   I can't say that they were really on board which made it more imposed than voluntary.

They have remembered how to play again though with very little "I am bored" coming from anyone.  We bought a new trampoline, they have been playing with their abundance of action figures and going outside so much more.   It is refreshing to have them away from the screen.

They are still very much looking forward to their video game time again and still talk about it often together.  I would be happy if the video games were not a part of our lives. I know that they have enjoyed them and have even gained skills from the games as well as knowledge but I would not be sad if all the systems went away.  It is not going to happen though.   I could do it of course and although Chris would be sad he would go along with it.

I don't like that they do it but it does bring them enjoyment.  And to be honest there are a few games I will play....rarely.   I don't intend on taking the game systems out of the house permanently. I want to encourage a healthy balance of activities like I hope they will achieve in other parts of their lives as they grow.  I think, I hope we are moving toward there with the break we have taken from media for a while.  When will it come back?  Not yet is the only answer I have to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment