Art and other stuff

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lightning strikes at the heart of breastfeeding

Twelve years ago my only thoughts on breastfeeding were that I was going to do it and would that I would wean before the baby could 'ask' for it.  I didn't understand the position other pregnant women I knew had who were only going to give it a try.  What was there to try?  I was confident. I was just going to do it. It went along with my steadfast belief that I would give birth naturally and without drugs.

Skip ahead a few months to my first experiences of labour, birth and breastfeeding our first born son.

I asked for the epidural and I quit breastfeeding after 5 days, but "I tried".  That is not where the story ends of course.   Yes I asked for the epidural, I had an induced and augmented labour.  I didn't get it in time as the doctor was too busy.  Our son was born naturally without pain meds. Breastfeeding was not quite as simple. Ours was a common story of inexperience and lack of good information.  That is until my mother stepped in to call my aunt.  My "sleeps with her children and nurses until they can walk" aunt.  To spare you a long story with a little hope, the support of my aunt ( a retired La Leche League Leader), her friend (also previously involved with La La Leche League) , my mother and my husband I went back to breastfeeding after having quit three weeks previously.

In that time I was still hesitant to attend the suggested La Leche League (LLL) Meeting.  I just didn't think it would be a fit for me as I was certainly not going to be the "sleeps with her children and nurse until they can walk" kind of mom.  "Funny" story though,  my aunt, who had driven a few hours just to come support me was struck by lightning in her truck on her way home.  Terrible thing, not funny at all; she survived but had some hearing loss and I am sure shock among other traumas.  I had a sense of guilt and decided to attend a LLL Meeting.  I didn't really like it.  I felt like a fake as I was only just starting to breastfeed and my baby was over a month old.  I had given only bottles that did not contain breastmilk for the first month and I still had no idea what I was doing.  I wouldn't even breastfeed him at my first meeting.

I went back to the next meeting because by then I was breastfeeding more confidently and I was going to redeem myself.  I don't think they even noticed I hadn't breastfed during the meeting but I needed to prove something to myself. What was proved was that LLL can be a fit for so many different people. I kept going back month after month, year after year.

I will soon celebrate my 12th year as a "slept with my babies and nursed them well beyond the walking stage" mother and I am into my 11th year as a La Leche League Leader.   LLL does not equal sleeping with babies and nursing into toddlerhood.  It is not an exclusive club only for "crunchy mamas". I met wonderful women during the past 12 years at LLL events and in the community who have introduced me to ideas that I previously balked at but now embrace.  LLL is about supporting mothers where they are at.   It is about being there to share with other women and learn from other women and take what works for your family.

We are way beyond the baby years now and I still LOVE women who come to LLL meetings.  I LOVE being an LLL Leader.  I have the fortune recently to be a part of a new community of women with a brand new LLL Group who have the passion and interest in mothering and breastfeeding that captured me 11 plus years ago.  I have the honour of watching them grow into their mothering roles in ways they feel comfortable with and confident in.

To all the women who have touched my life through LLL, THANK YOU!


No comments:

Post a Comment