Art and other stuff

Monday, March 21, 2011

Advice of Strangers

Do you let your kids play in the rain?  The boys often want to go out and play when it is raining.  The other day they were playing in the snow, slowly the snow turned to rain.  I can't say I always let them play in the rain but this time they looked like they were having too much fun to tell them to come in.

A car pulled up if front of the house.  We live in a cul de sac so often we have Sunday drivers checking out the scenery.   I noticed their windows were open and had slowed down near the kids.  I opened the door when I realized they were talking to them.  Panic moment of course so my parent radar kicked into overdrive.  Apparently the car occupants said "you look like you are getting soaked" and then told the kids "you should probably go home and get your mom to make hot chocolate".  It was the strangest thing.  They were playing in front of the house on a street where there are only three houses so it is most likely that the kids live in one of the houses.  The kids said they didn't recognize the people which doesn't mean that it wasn't a neighbour but it was still odd.  Of course first and foremost I didn't like that someone I don't know was talking to the kids from the window of a car, but really to tell the kids they should go home because it is raining is just weird.

I have no doubt we played outside in rain, hail, snowstorms when we were younger.  Are we just too careful with kids, not letting them do enough?  Or maybe not careful enough if cars are stopping in front of our house to talk to the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment