Art and other stuff

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bake-off

The boys proposed an idea to me the other day at the grocery store.  Usually their propositions mean something very involved that grows into a project of unbelievable proportions.   This one seemed simple enough.

Challenge:  A Bake-off
Participants:   Team 1 (Seamus, Liam and Eoin) and  Team 2 (Chris and Jenn)
Tasters:  Gramma, Papa and maybe our neighbour
The Prize:  Having fun!

My terms:
It had to be a blind taste test.  My parents could not know which one the kids made!  Like that would go over well.  We all know the results if they get even an inkling of which one the kids make ; )

Knowing we didn't have any idea on what to bake we deferred it to another day to find the right recipe.  After some searching the boys have decided on Chocolate Almond Bonbons they found in Pillsbury:The Complete Book of Baking.  It is actually the first baking/cookbook that my mom gave me to add to my hope chest when I was a girl.  Sniff, sniff.

So we are off today to buy the ingredients for our first baking competition............................

........Back from groceries and apparently I was mistaken the boys were making the Chocolate Almond Bonbons and Chris and I had to pick out our own recipe.  So after we returned from the grocery store having not realized I had to do this we found a recipe with what we did have in the house and chose Split Seconds from the same cookbook. 

We had a blast baking!  Here are the results and Seamus' picture:



The vote on taste was almost unanimous from both bakers and the testers.  The Split Seconds tasted slightly better than the Chocolate Almond Bonbons but the Bonbons looked much better.   I liked the Bonbons better, but I love chocolate.

Thank you to our neighbour who kindly tried both desserts and somehow managed to keep the dog from eating them. 

What a fun time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment