Art and other stuff

Monday, November 21, 2011

You Light up my Life

This past couple weeks I have been salivating over light tables.  They run about $100 to $200.  My inventive and awesome father was kind enough to do the work on this diy project.  Here are some of the steps he took to make a light table for us.  It is not a complete tutorial but you should get the idea.


Light table completed  

4  - 15 cm wide maple boards left over from the bunk beds (length will depend on the size of the plexi glass)
2- under cabinet florescent lights .....$14 each at homedepot
1- plexi glass (60cm x 45cm)........ $25 at homedepot
wood glue/clamps/table saw/compound mitre saw/screws/'L' clips/electric hand sander

He used the saw to cut a groove for the plexi glass to sit in

Slid in the plexi glass to measure the exact size for the board cuts

All the boards cut to length at angles with their grooves

He used a sander to scuff up one side of the plexi glass to diffuse the light

With glue on all the corners he snapped all the pieces in place.
Let the glue dry with the clamps.  He also added 'L' clips on the inside corners for added stability.
The pic of the final box doesn't show it well but he made some handles out of wood for each side to make it more portable.

Mount two lights inside the frame

He connected the wires but two plugs coming out a drilled hole in the wood would work too.

Coloured water, transparent manipulative tiles and a ziploc filled with paint
(my camera is terrible but the table lights everything up nice)
  My boys are older but I am determined to use it as much as I can with them now and maybe some wee ones in the future if we are so fortunate.   The boys will use it in their daily drawing and comic drawing adventures as well. Overall though it is a fun way to do even regular stuff with an added sensory element.

4 comments:

  1. nice job! I just discovered these and think they are amazing! I'll have to see if D will make me one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been salivating over light tables as well!!! (Just talking about them with Stacy in fact. hee hee). I sent my dad an email request to make me one - but I hadn't found a "good" tutorial.... I am going to send him yours!!

    Perfect timing.
    Synchronicity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps. See if you can get your hands on old x-rays or slides!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I actually have some of Eoin and maybe a cat from when I was teaching.

    ReplyDelete